Internships and Workstudy
Environmental Education Internship (summer)
Earth Action, a program of Environment Erie, is committed to youth action on behalf of the environment. Earth Action works with local youth to help them create positive, lasting change in their communities through environmental service learning and civic engagement. Our Neighborhood Programs specifically focus on working with youth from low-income areas of the City of Erie.
Terms of Internship:
• Unpaid internship to an individual interested in gaining hands on teaching experience, addressing local environmental issues, and working with children.
• Commitment to work 15-20 hours each week for the length of the internship.
• Earth Action will provide training, materials, and on-going program support.
• Will be hosted out of the Tom Ridge Environmental Center.
• Desire to work with at-risk youth, ages 8-14.
• Ability to work independently and with others on a team.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to accept supervision and guidance.
• Ability to work with an ethnically and socio-economically diverse population.
• Criminal Background Check and Child Abuse Clearances required before the start of internship (Act 34 & 151).
• Ability to commit to service for the summer (June – August).
• Have transportation to project sites (in the City of Erie).
• Facilitate a small group of youth (ages 8-14) toward successful completion of an Earth Action Project, using the Earth Action service leaning process.
• Collaborate and consult with Environment Erie staff to develop programs, coordinate field trips and guest speakers.
• Create and submit weekly lesson plans, daily logs and attendance rosters.
• Help with special events: Art Festival, HACE Picnic, Discover Presque Isle, etc.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references to: Service Learning Coordinator, Environment Erie
301 Peninsula Drive, Suite 5, Erie PA 16505 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org